Friday, June 10, 2011

Figurative studies

These are some pieces I made for a local show in Jackson, all about nudes.  Below is my artist statement for the show. There was a third piece, but I'll show that next time.


Artist Statement

Ever since I was a young child, I have always been making art of some kind. As I grew and developed my artistic talents, I found a true love for both drawing, particularly the figure and textile art. I never thought the two would merge, but that is what my current line of work is trying to do. I have swapped out my charcoal for a needle and thread to execute the line work. Then I am using various natural fibers to help fill space. I am trying to incorporate traditional fiber and needlecraft techniques to new subject matters, the nude figure. 
Some work I have chosen to work with a natural, neutral based palette using the natural color of the wools and alpaca to give a more realistic look. Other times, I am using bright, bold colors to make a statement about something.
I plan to develop this work further and see where it chooses to go.

No comments: